Tuesday 17 January 2012

about our photosmile

While I was reading about Bettina von Zwehl, one of my inspirations for my latest college project, I found a description that I really love in her book:

"And looking into a camera lens involves, at some level, summoning the meaning of the resulting photograph's existence throughout time and beyond our selves. At that point of exposure we not only confront the camera but also the probability of every subsequent encounter with our image: we imagine every look, we sense a possible infinity of looking at that momentary self we are about to offer.  We smile, in some ways, as a defence against this burden of knowing, to lighten the moment, to protect ourselves against time."

Chandler, D (2007) Introduction, Photoworks

No comments:

Post a Comment