Tuesday 17 January 2012

Flies and other objects

Throughout the centuries, living and deceased flora and fauna, and even the human body, have always been a subject for observation.
This curious need is shown widely from 19th century botanical drawings, the early photographs of natives of the colonised countries, to contemporary images and illustrations by scientists and artists.
My research had led me to Camille Soyague, whose images gave me direction when I was searching for a way of presenting my own collection of lifeless creatures. My fascination lies within their timelessness and stillness; their now muted lives have passed their death and they function as objects. Objects to observe, ready to be examined, displayed, collected and used for various purposes.  I find this natural and necessary transformation tragic, yet romantic and I intend to represent this with my images.
This project is about looking at these natural forms and shapes as they now are, afterlife.










No comments:

Post a Comment